Wikipedia Primary edit-a-thon adds knowledge about South Africa’s women leaders
Do you want to make a difference to the foundation phase of Education in South Africa? Then join us at two Wikipedia Primary School edit-a-thons.
Wikipedia is meant to be an education tool but experiences have shown us that once accessible, Wikipedia does not provide information that responds directly to curriculum-based questions.
Wikipedia Primary relies on Wikipedia as an existing and growing resource. It solves the need for an encyclopedia capable of responding to curriculum-based questions, and it fosters Wikipedia content, quality and outreach. The edit-a-thons are a collaboration between Wikimedia ZA, UCT IP Unit and the Wiki Loves Women project.
At each edit-a-thon (a fun way of contributing information to Wikipedia), we will work together to add and improve articles on Wikipedia that are important to primary school children in South Africa.
The themes for these edit-a-thons are :
- South African women leaders and issues around women
- South Africa’s indigenous people
- Good news stories affecting the youth (e.g., discoveries, inventions and policies)
The details of the edit-a-thons are:
- Dates: 19 and 26 February 2016
- Where: American Corner, Central Library, Old Drill Hall, cnr Parade and Darling Streets
- Time: 15:00 – 18:00
- Cost: Absolutely free