The wisdom of 2,432 women made visible via WikiQuote
Wiki Loves Women’s 2021 #SheSaid campaign was launched in October. SheSaid is a drive that encourages an increase in visibility for notable women’s voices online by adding their notable quotes to various language WikiQuote sites.
For 2021, nine different language communities contributed – Italian, Ukrainian, English, Tagalog, Igbo, Spanish, French, Central Bikol, and Catalan. In addition to the global drive, 12 members of Wiki Loves Women’s Focus Group held local training and participation drives with their communities.
Across the 9 language Wikiquotes a collective of 1,514 articles were created. This ensures that 1,514 notable women whose voices and wisdom had previously not been featured, can now be easily accessed. Articles for a further 309 women were improved. In addition, 638 articles featuring notable women were created on Kinyarwanda Wikipedia (Wikipediya mu Kinyarwanda) by the activities of the Wiki Loves Women Focus Group member in Rwanda in collaboration with Wikimedia Rwanda Usergroup.
The Italian language community through the enthusiasm of the Wiki Donne user group was again the most outstanding contributor to the SheSaid Campaign. This community created articles about 609 women and improved a further 227 articles. The next prolific contender, the Tagalog language community (currently in incubator status) created 308 new articles. The third highest contributing language community was to the English language Wikiquote by creating 156 articles and improving a further 18 articles.
Below are the stats impact for the SheSaid Campaign across 9 different languages that participated in 2021;
- SheSaid on Italian Wikiquote: 609 new articles, 227 improved articles
- Tagalog Wikquote: 308 new articles (currently in Tagalog incubator)
- SheSaid on Ukrainian Wikiquote: 169 new articles, 55 improved articles
- SheSaid on English Wikiquote: 156 new articles and 18 improved articles
- SheSaid on the Central Bikol Wikquote: 138 new articles (currently in incubator status)
- SheSaid on French Wikiquote: 65 new articles and 7 Improved articles
- SheSaid on Igbo Wikiquote incubator: 40 new articles
- SheSaid on the Catalan Wikiquote: 20 new articles and 2 improved articles
- SheSaid on the Spanish wikiquote: 9 new articles
The lack of women’s voices in the digital domain is a global issue, one that we can collectively work on in order to change how women are viewed. By hosting drives such as Wiki Loves Women’s SheSaid campaign, Wikimedia groups focused on gender help to right this historical imbalance whilst growing communities as they learn how to contribute.
Wiki Loves Women is awed by the response and enthusiasm to the second edition of this drive, and looks forward to the third version in 2022! We urge that anyone can join this initiative and continue to make an impact by adding more articles about women. Contribute here!